Newells Old Boys


User Rating

(0 users)

Next Event
Newells Old Boys vs Banfield (07 Dec)

Head Coach
None Found...
Add new Player with 'Manager' position

Recent Form ➡
  W      W      L      W      D    

1903 (118 years old)


Estadio Marcelo Bielsa
(42,000 Capacity)

Jersey or Equipment Clearart

Rosario, Santa Fe Province, Argentina


Argentinian Primera Division

Last Edit
avzubkof: 10/Jun/21
Home / Sport / Soccer / Argentinian Primera Division / Newells Old Boys (year 1975)

Upcoming Events
07 Dec 21 Newells Old   -  Banfield
12 Dec 21 San Lorenzo   -  Newells Old

Latest Results
30 Nov 21 Boca Juniors  0 - 0  Newells Old
24 Nov 21 Newells Old  1 - 0  Central Córdoba
21 Nov 21 Arsenal Sarandi  3 - 1  Newells Old
08 Nov 21 Newells Old  1 - 0  Union
31 Oct 21 Newells Old  1 - 0  Independiente

Available in:

Club Atlético Newell's Old Boys (Spanish pronunciation: ) is an Argentine sports club based in Rosario, Santa Fe. The club was founded on 3 November 1903, and is named after Isaac Newell, from the English county of Kent, one of the pioneers of Argentine football.

Originally a member of Rosario's Football Association, Newell's affiliated to the Argentine Football Association (AFA) in 1939. They were the 2013 champions in Argentine football, and have won AFA's Primera División six times throughout their history. Newell's has also been twice Copa Libertadores runner-up (in 1988 and 1992).

The club's football stadium is the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa, named after the team's former player and manager Marcelo Bielsa (twice champion, and runner-up of one Copa Libertadores). Newell's plays the Rosario derby against Rosario Central, a club with which they have a huge historical rivalry.

Newell's is also notable for its youth divisions, being one of the clubs with most national titles in AFA's youth tournaments. Players from the club's youths who have represented Argentina at World Cups are Gabriel Batistuta, Éver Banega, Walter Samuel, Américo Gallego, Jorge Valdano, Gabriel Heinze, Roberto Sensini, Mauricio Pochettino and Maxi Rodríguez, among others. Lionel Messi also played in the club's youths, but left at a young age to Barcelona to seek treatment for his growth hormone deficiency, while Diego Maradona played briefly for the first team in 1993.

Other sports practised at this club are basketball, boxing, field hockey, martial arts, roller skating and volleyball.


Club Atlético Newell's Old Boys was established on 3 November 1903. Claudio Newell was one of the founding members. Newell called teachers, pupils and alumni of the school to sign the act of foundation of the club. The name chosen paid tribute to Isaac Newell's life. The first president was Víctor Heitz.

The name "old boys" is referred to graduates of a school. Therefore, "Newells Old Boys" would mean "Graduates of Newell's school" or something similar. In fact, the players of the first football team were graduates of the school Isaac Newell had established, the Colegio Comercial Anglicano Argentino.

The colours of the club were taken from the Colegio Comercial Anglicano Argentino emblem (designed by Isaac Newell himself) that were red and black inspired in the colours of the English and German flags respectively.

Newell's Old Boys is often referred to as "leprosos" ("lepers"). The club got its nickname, the lepers, after playing in a charity match for a leprosy clinic in the 1920s.

Team Members
View: Thumbs Cutouts RendersSort: Positions Names Numbers


= Contract years remaining

Stadium or Home

Estadio Marcelo A. Bielsa is Newell's Old Boys' multi-use stadium in Rosario, Argentina. It didn't have any official name until December 22, 2009, when it was named after the former manager of the club Marcelo Bielsa. Until then it was simply called El Coloso del Parque ("The Colossus of the Park"), and this remained as the stadium's popular name. It is currently used mostly for football matches, but it has hosted some rugby matches sometimes, albeit rarely. The stadium was built in 1911, and has been expanded several times since. It currently holds 42,000.

First pitch (1905)
The first pitch or "field" as it was called at that time was located between the streets Boulevard Humberto First and Avellaneda, in the northwest of the city of Rosario, in the neighborhood of the workshops. The same was achieved through management by Claudio Newell (son of Isaac Newell, founder of the club), and was opened in 1905 . It was the scene of the beginning of the meetings at that time the Football League Rosarina. The same had few amenities: had only a small box lumber modest. Due to this and the growth of the club, he found a new space for the court.

Second court (1907)
In 1907, thanks to the efforts of the then Mayor of Rosario, Nicasio Vila, who ceded some land, the court moved to the block between Avenue United Provinces streets, San Luis and La Rioja, in the neighborhood Vila, in the west corner of the city.



Other Links